I am a meal planner. I liked having my days and meals planned out. We also buy exactly what groceries we need for the week, no extra, no less. So when snowmageddon ruined our Iron City Grill and River Dance plans I had no dinner plan, or “extra groceries”. I started rummaging through cans, the freezer, and my spices and this was the result!
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery (about 3)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 cups diced potatoes (from about 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped frozen, fresh, or one can green beans
- 1 1/4 cups frozen fresh, or one can of corn
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add onions and carrots and saute 4 minutes then add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
Add in broth tomatoes, potatoes, parsley, bay leaves, thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste (for more flavor add in more spices as desired, I added a little garlic salt and Mediterranean Sea Salt).
Bring to a boil, then add green beans, corn, and peas.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 – 30 minutes.
After potatoes are tender uncover and stir and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
Note: If you are eating Whole 30 leave out the corn!
Please comment below! I would love to hear how everyone liked this recipe! Please Share if you enjoyed or know others who may need a last minute meal!